Note: The YouTube MashUp tool is now functional as of August 12th.
The Fall 2015 semester officially begins on Thursday, August 27th. If you are using Blackboard to host some or all of your course material please review the following checklist of items and resources that might help you get ready for the first day of classes:
Faculty need to reconcile their Banner and Blackboard course rosters at the beginning of each semester to make sure that the students registered for their course in Banner have properly been placed in your Blackboard course.
- Log into your Blackboard course(s) and scroll down to the Course Management area. Click on Users and Groups and click Users.
- Your class roster will be displayed. Please note, you may need to navigate to the second page to view all your students.
- If a student’s email is blank, please inform the student that they will need to set up their SUNY Suffolk email by logging into MySCCC and clicking on the Email tab.
There are two frequent causes for the lists to be out of sync:
- There might be a delay sending student records from Banner to Blackboard. You should wait about a day and check again to see if the problem has been resolved.
- A student who is new to SCCC might not have logged into MySCCC. You need to contact the student to find out if this is the case and let them know they will need to create a MySCCC account. After the student creates their MySCCC account, it will still take time to transfer their newly created account from Banner to Blackboard.
If neither of the above steps resolves the issue, you will need to contact the Office of Instructional Technology at by emailing us at email@example.com
Whether you’re looking to copy your course materials from one semester to another or even just from one course to another section of the same course, you can use the Course Copy tool. If you are looking to copy materials from the Blackboard development site to the production one, you will need to follow the Export/Import instructions.
- Access the section whose content you wish to copy.
- Scroll down the Course Menu to the Course Management area and click on Packages and Utilities.
- Select Course Copy.
- Make sure the Select Copy Type is set to Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course.
- Click on Browse, select the course you want to copy the course material into and then click on Submit.
- Scroll down to the section Select Course Materials. Choose Select All or check the box(es) associated with the specific course material to copy.
- You need to click on Submit to complete the process.
Coping Course Content with Discussions (pdf version)
UPDATE: As of 8/12/2015, this issue has been resolved.
If you are using the Mashups tool to add YouTube videos, you might have noticed that it gives an error message when searching for a video. Likewise, any YouTube videos you might have added to your courses previously using the Mashup tool will also give an error message when attempting to play the video.
This is a known Blackboard issue that occurred when Google changed the way YouTube videos are searched for and embedded. Blackboard is working to fix Mashups but they haven’t provided an eta for it. In the meantime here’s two methods for you to add YouTube videos to your Blackboard course.