Checking a SafeAssign Assignment for Plagiarism
SafeAssign is a plagiarism detection tool which is integrated into Blackboard. SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is based on a unique text matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. Follow these instructions to learn how to check a SafeAssign assignment for plagiarism.
- First go to grade the student’s attempt for the SafeAssign assignment. This can be done through the Full Grade Center or through Needs Grading (if it hasn’t been graded yet).
- Full Grade Center: Find the cell containing the student’s grade (or needs grading icon) for the assignment. Click on the down arrow that appears and select the Attempt [date].
- Needs Grading: Locate the student’s submission you wish to grade from the list and click on their name to view the attempt.
- In the right pane of the assignment window, it will show you the percentage of the paper that was flagged for plagiarism. To view the originality report, click the down-arrow next to the word SafeAssign.
- Click View Originality Report to view the report.
- The Originality Report will now appear in the browser. On the left you will see all instances of suspected plagiarism highlighted in yellow. On the right you will see the percentage of suspected plagiarism. Under “Citations,” you can choose to turn the highlighting on or off by clicking on the highlighter pen icons. You will also see the sources from which the student plagiarized listed. Each source will be assigned a different color.
- You may click on any highlighted line of text to bring up a pop-up that will show the source. In this example, you can see that the student took work from another student’s paper.
- Once you are done reviewing the Originality Report, you may close the browser window and return to complete grading the student’s attempt.