Creating an Assignment with SafeAssign
SafeAssign is a plagiarism detection tool which is integrated into Blackboard. SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is based on a unique text matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. To create an assignment using SafeAssign, first create an assignment in the usual way.
- Click on the Assignment in the Course Menu
- Within the content area menu, click the drop-down arrow next to Assessments and choose Assignment
- Insert a Name for the assignment and Instructions. Attach a file if you wish.
- Enter Due Dates and Points Possible. Optionally associate a Rubric.
- To use SafeAssign with this assignment, click on Submission Details.
- Choose the Assignment Type (step 1) and select the Number of Attempts (step 2).
- Next to Plagiarism Tools check the box to “Check submissions for plagiarism using SafeAssign.”
- If you would like to allow students to view their SafeAssign originality report, check the box for “Allow students to view SafeAssign originality report for their attempts” (step 4)
- Decide whether or not you would like to exclude submissions (step 5)
- Excluding submissions: If you check the box to exclude submissions, students can submit multiple attempts (for example: drafts) without their work being flagged for plagiarizing their own previous submission.
- Not Excluding submissions: If a student submits their work twice, SafeAssign will flag their work as being plagiarized even though it is their own work.
- Click on Submit to finish creating the assignment with SafeAssign.