Welcome to Blackboard at SCCC!
Below are links to instructions for setting up a Blackboard course, including a list of help resources noted in the document, Help Resources for Using Blackboard located in the section titled, ‘Additional Information’. Specific handouts are grouped by categories and a few key video tutorials are also listed on this page. The majority of our videos can be found by clicking on the link YouTube!
If you can’t find your answer in the tutorials below and have a specific Blackboard questions, please email [email protected]
Note: There will be times when Blackboard is upgraded to include new features as well as to correct ‘glitches’ in their system. This will necessitate updating some of the content material contained on our website. Please note that the Office Of Instructional Technology will do our best to reflect these changes as time permits.
If you need in-person assistance or would like to learn more about Blackboard, please check out our workshop schedule. You will find a variety workshops that cover the popular Blackboard topics as well as Q&A sessions where you can get assistance on any topic. In addition, there are several Overview sessions intended for those faculty who want to upload some or all of their course material used in their face-to-face courses.
Check out our Blackboard instructional videos on YouTube!
Building your Blackboard Course
These instructions will guide you with creating various forms of course content in Blackboard.
Moving a Blackboard Development Course into Production
If you built your courses in the Blackboard Development site, you will need to move them into the Production site. This is the live site that your students will have access to and where you should be running your courses during the semester.
Changing your Course’s Availability Dates in Blackboard
These instructions are for instructors who wish to change the dates students have access to their course in Blackboard to dates different than the semester dates. For example, giving students access to their course in Blackboard earlier than the start of the semester or past the course’s end date.
- Changing your Course’s Availability Dates
- Editing the Email Tool Settings (pdf)
Customizing Your Blackboard Course
The following instructions cover various ways you can customize your course in Blackboard.
Building Course Content
The following instructions cover adding content to your courses in Blackboard.
- Reconciling Banner and Blackboard Rosters (pdf)
- Creating a Journal (Can be used for private messaging with students within Bb) (docx)
- How to Create Announcements
- Creating Content (docx)
- Visual Text Editor
- Special Characters in Blackboard
- Date Restricting Items
- Adaptive Release Settings
- Copying an item to another Content Area or Folder
- Embedding a YouTube Video in Blackboard
- Discussion Forums(docx)
- Copying Course Material from one Bb Course into Another
- YouTube Mashups Workaround
Assessment and Evaluations
- How to Use SafeAssign to Check for Plagiarism
- Creating an Assignment(docx)
- Creating an Assignment Link on the Course Menu(docx)
- Grading an Assignment(docx)
- Submitting an Assignment from the Viewpoint of a Student(docx)
- Creating a Test/Quiz(docx)
- Survey Tool
- Viewing Survey Results
- Copy a Test from the Test Server to the Live Server
- Submitting a test for a student
- Creating a Discussion Forum(docx)
- Grading a Discussion Forum from the Grade Center (docx)
- Grading a Discussion Forum using the Discussions Tool (YouTube)
- Overview of the Grade Center (docx)
- Weighted Grades(docx)
- Creating a Grading Schema (docx)
- Blackboard Collaborate YouTube Playlist
- Blackboard Collaborate FAQs
- How to Find Bb Collaborate in Your Course
- How to Launch Bb Collaborate (for Windows)
- Setting User Permissions in Bb Collaborate
- How to Chat in Bb Collaborate
- Share the Desktop in Bb Collaborate
- Share One Application in Bb Collaborate
- Bb Collaborate Whiteboard Basics
- How to Record a Session in Bb Collaborate
- How to Invite Attendees to Share the Desktop in Bb Collaborate
- Setting up Audio and Video in Bb Collaborate
- How to Manage Video in Bb Collaborate
- About Rubrics
- Setting up a Rubric
- ReadSpeaker: Text-to-Speech
- Using Blackboard for Hearing Impairment
- Using Blackboard for Visual Impairment
- Using Blackboard for Mobility Impairment
- Help Resources for Using Blackboard
- Using the Student Preview Feature
- Removing a Withdrawn Student from your Bb Course (docx)
- Clearing Your Browser Cache and Java