SafeAssign is a plagiarism detection tool which is integrated into Blackboard. SSafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is based on a unique text matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. Click on the links to learn how to use this tool in your courses.
- I enabled chat permission for the entire room. How come one student is unable to chat?
Permissions can be set for the entire room and for individuals. If you gave chat permission to the entire room but one (or more than one) student cannot chat, check to make sure that the permissions for chat were not turned off for that particular student.
- A student will not lower her hand after I told her a couple of times to lower it. It is distracting. What do I do?
If a student forgets to lower their hand, the moderator can lower it for them by clicking on the option button next to their name and selecting “Lower Hand.”
- I just ran a poll. How do I clear all the responses?
To clear all of your students’ responses, click on “Clear.”
- In one of my sessions, I chatted privately with a student. Important information was shared and I need it! How come this chat was not saved with the recording?
Public chats get saved with a session but private chats do not. If there is something important in the private chat that you want to keep, copy and paste the text of the chat into a Word document before ending the session.
- I just imported a PowerPoint presentation into the whiteboard. How come I can only see the first slide and none of the other ones? What happened to my slides?
Use the navigation arrows at the top right side of the whiteboard to navigate through the slides in your presentation. You can also go directly to a specific slide by clicking the down arrow, as show below. If you prefer to see thumbnails of all the slides, click on the navigation options menu and select “Show Page Explorer.”
- I can’t delete something off the whiteboard. Help!
To delete an item off the whiteboard, you need to select it first. Click on the select tool in the whiteboard menu bar, click on the object you wish to delete, and then press Delete on your keyboard.
- I am running a video-enabled (or audio-enabled) session and my students are saying that the can’t hear me. This technology is confusing me!
There are a few things you can check before you run for the hills.
- Did you press the “talk” button? Audio will not be transmitted unless the “talk” button is pressed.
- Is your mic plugged in? This seems obvious, but it might have been unplugged by accident.
- If your mic has a volume button, is it turned all the way up?
- If the answer to all of these questions is “yes”, you might have to run the Audio Set-Up Wizard to make sure Collaborate is recognizing your mic as the output device.
- I just recorded a session but when I go into session history to access it, it doesn’t show up under “Recordings.” Is my session gone forever?
A recorded session can take up to 2 hours to show up in Blackboard Collaborate under “Recordings.” If it has been at least 2 hours and it still hasn’t appeared, unfortunately, it may not have been recorded. L There are a few things that you must do in order to successfully record a session.
- Make sure to press record at the start of the session!
- Make sure to press record again to stop the recording once the session is completed.
- Make sure that all of your students have left the session. You can remove any students that have not done so by clicking on the options menu button next to their name and selecting “Remove Participant.”
As of December 21st, OpenSUNY will be using a new number for their Help Desk. The new number is 1-844-673-6786. It replaces the old number 1-800-875-6269.
If you happen to have any SCCC Blackbaord tutorials saved to your computer or have the OpenSUNY number saved in your cell phone, please update it or re-save your tutorials from our site which now have the new OpenSUNY phone number.
SCCC Students now have the ability to install Office 365 ProPlus with the 2013 apps for free just by using their MySCCC account. It allows students to install Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, and Access on up to 5 devices (Windows or Mac) and Office apps on other mobile devices including Windows tablets and iPads. It also includes 1TB of OneDrive storage. Read more
Today you will notice a new addition to Suffolk County Community College’s Blackboard, which will make course content more accessible. In the bottom left corner of Blackboard, is the ReadSpeaker icon. ReadSpeaker is the leading provider of online text to speech. By just clicking on the icon, you can have the content on Blackboard read out loud to you. Simply highlight any text on the page in Blackboard and the ReadSpeaker icon will appear beside your cursor. Hit the play button to have ReadSpeaker read just that text.
With ReadSpeaker in Blackboard, students who are audible learners can now absorb course content in the best way for them. Non-native English speakers and students who struggle with reading will be able to follow along with ReadSpeaker as it highlights each word it reads. The speed that ReadSpeaker reads the text can be adjusted for those that want it to be read faster or slower. By using ReadSpeaker, students will see improved word recognition, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Watch how to use ReadSpeaker!
Download the PDF instructions on how to use ReadSpeaker and docReader here.