On June 8th, our Blackboard instance was upgraded to the latest version, Q2 2016.
Read Blackboard’s notes about it here: https://en-us.help.blackboard.com/Learn/9.1_2014_04/Administrator/010_Release_Notes/060_Learn_9.1_Q2_2016
With it brought some issues, the most notable being the login. Users trying to log into Blackboard were met with an error message. This took some time to fix as it wasn’t very clear what was causing the issue. More concerning was that the Development site was not affected in the same way. A temporary solution was put in to allow users to access Blackboard and a few hours later the fix to the original problem was resolved.
Now that users can access Blackboard there are still a number of issues to be resolved.
We are currently aware of these issues and are working to resolve them
- Grade Center – showing grades as undefined (RESOLVED)
- WileyPlus – Grade Sync (RESOLVED)
Please email email@example.com or contact OpenSUNY at 1-844-673-6786 if you have any other issues.
Due to an issue with the login to Blackboard caused by an upgrade to SCCC’s instance, there will be a separate login screen that Suffolk Students and Faculty will need to use to access the site. While the login screen looks different, you will still use your MySCCC Username and Password. You can login to Blackboard by navigating directly here: https://suffolkonline.open.suny.edu/webapps/login/.
Once the issue has been resolved, the login procedure will revert back to the original.
To share files in a Collaborate session, follow the steps below.
- Go to File->Open->File for Transfer
- In Windows Explorer, select the file you wish to share.
- The File Transfer Library window will open. Here you can see the progress of your file upload. You can also see all the files you’ve uploaded in the past.
- Once the file upload is complete, your participants will see the message below. They will be able to save the file immediately by selecting Yes or save it later by selecting No.
- If they select Yes, Windows Explorer will open and they will be able to save the file.
- If they select No, they can download and save the file later by accessing the File Transfer Library by going to Window->Show File Transfer Library. Here they will see a list of files that have been transferred. To download and save a file, participants will need to (1) click on the file they want to save and then (2) click on the file transfer icon in the upper left corner. Windows Explorer will then open and they will be able to save the file.
SafeAssign is a plagiarism detection tool which is integrated into Blackboard. SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is based on a unique text matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. Follow these instructions to learn how to check a SafeAssign assignment for plagiarism.
- First go to grade the student’s attempt for the SafeAssign assignment. This can be done through the Full Grade Center or through Needs Grading (if it hasn’t been graded yet).
- Full Grade Center: Find the cell containing the student’s grade (or needs grading icon) for the assignment. Click on the down arrow that appears and select the Attempt [date].
- Needs Grading: Locate the student’s submission you wish to grade from the list and click on their name to view the attempt.
- In the right pane of the assignment window, it will show you the percentage of the paper that was flagged for plagiarism. To view the originality report, click the down-arrow next to the word SafeAssign.
- Click View Originality Report to view the report.
- The Originality Report will now appear in the browser. On the left you will see all instances of suspected plagiarism highlighted in yellow. On the right you will see the percentage of suspected plagiarism. Under “Citations,” you can choose to turn the highlighting on or off by clicking on the highlighter pen icons. You will also see the sources from which the student plagiarized listed. Each source will be assigned a different color.
- You may click on any highlighted line of text to bring up a pop-up that will show the source. In this example, you can see that the student took work from another student’s paper.
- Once you are done reviewing the Originality Report, you may close the browser window and return to complete grading the student’s attempt.
SafeAssign is a plagiarism detection tool which is integrated into Blackboard. SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is based on a unique text matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. To create an assignment using SafeAssign, first create an assignment in the usual way.
- Click on the Assignment in the Course Menu
- Within the content area menu, click the drop-down arrow next to Assessments and choose Assignment
- Insert a Name for the assignment and Instructions. Attach a file if you wish.
- Enter Due Dates and Points Possible. Optionally associate a Rubric.
- To use SafeAssign with this assignment, click on Submission Details.
- Choose the Assignment Type (step 1) and select the Number of Attempts (step 2).
- Next to Plagiarism Tools check the box to “Check submissions for plagiarism using SafeAssign.”
- If you would like to allow students to view their SafeAssign originality report, check the box for “Allow students to view SafeAssign originality report for their attempts” (step 4)
- Decide whether or not you would like to exclude submissions (step 5)
- Excluding submissions: If you check the box to exclude submissions, students can submit multiple attempts (for example: drafts) without their work being flagged for plagiarizing their own previous submission.
- Not Excluding submissions: If a student submits their work twice, SafeAssign will flag their work as being plagiarized even though it is their own work.
- Click on Submit to finish creating the assignment with SafeAssign.