Welcome to Blackboard at SCCC!
Below are links to instructions for setting up a Blackboard course, including a list of help resources noted in the document, Help Resources for Using Blackboard located in the section titled, ‘Additional Information’. Specific handouts are grouped by categories and a few key video tutorials are also listed on this page. The majority of our videos can be found by clicking on the link YouTube!
If you can’t find your answer in the tutorials below and have a specific Blackboard questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: There will be times when Blackboard is upgraded to include new features as well as to correct ‘glitches’ in their system. This will necessitate updating some of the content material contained on our website. Please note that the Office Of Instructional Technology will do our best to reflect these changes as time permits.
If you need in-person assistance or would like to learn more about Blackboard, please check out our workshop schedule. You will find a variety workshops that cover the popular Blackboard topics as well as Q&A sessions where you can get assistance on any topic. In addition, there are several Overview sessions intended for those faculty who want to upload some or all of their course material used in their face-to-face courses.
Check out our Blackboard instructional videos on YouTube!
These instructions will guide you with navigating Blackboard. Check out Getting Started with Blackboard to learn how to login, navigate to your Blackboard courses and help information.
- Getting Started with Blackboard
- Viewing your Blackboard Roster (Users)
- Organizing your Course List
- Editing the Email Tool Settings (pdf)
- Using the Student Preview Feature
- Visual Text Editor
- Special Characters in Blackboard
Moving a Blackboard Development Course into Production
If you built your courses in the Blackboard Development site, you will need to move them into the Production site. This is the live site that your students will have access to and where you should be running your courses during the semester.
Changing your Course’s Availability Dates in Blackboard
These instructions are for instructors who wish to change the dates students have access to their course in Blackboard to dates different than the semester dates. For example, giving students access to their course in Blackboard earlier than the start of the semester or past the course’s end date.
Start of the Semester Instructions
The following instructions are different things you should do to at the start of the semester to prepare your Blackboard course.
- Course Copy – copy a previous semester’s course into your current semester course
- Check your Bb Roster – verify all your students are in your Blackboard course as well
- Send an Announcement – send your students a welcome message
Customizing Your Blackboard Course
The following instructions cover various ways you can customize your course in Blackboard.
Building Course Content
The following instructions cover adding content to your courses in Blackboard.
- How to Create Announcements
- Creating Content (docx)
- Copying Course Material from one Bb Course into Another
- Copying an item to another Content Area or Folder
- Date Restricting Items
- Adaptive Release Settings
- Embedding a YouTube Video in Blackboard
- Discussion Forums(docx)
- Creating a Journal (Can be used for private messaging with students within Bb) (docx)
Assessment and Evaluations
- Creating an Assignment(docx)
- Creating an Assignment Link on the Course Menu(docx)
- Grading an Assignment(docx)
- Submitting an Assignment from the Viewpoint of a Student(docx)
- How to Use SafeAssign to Check for Plagiarism
- Creating a Test/Quiz(docx)
- Copy a Test from the Test Server to the Live Server
- Submitting a test for a student
- Creating a Discussion Forum(docx)
- Grading a Discussion Forum from the Grade Center (docx)
- Grading a Discussion Forum using the Discussions Tool (YouTube)
- ReadSpeaker: Text-to-Speech
- Using Blackboard for Hearing Impairment
- Using Blackboard for Visual Impairment
- Using Blackboard for Mobility Impairment